SSK Chronicles

Everything here is straight from my heart : nuthin more nuthin less. This is my place to pour out the Emotions smouldering within me...

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States

hmm I think of myself as paradoxical : A non vegetarian who doesnt like to kill or hurt other living things, A ceaseless romantic who sometimes thinks that relationships are just not worth gettin into since someone eventually gets hurt, A dreamer who ends up being more realistic, A pessimist who hides his optimism in pessimism & finally just another normal human being.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

where are we going???

well today is Feb 14th ... a day which is known by most people as Valentine's day. A day which has been marketed so effectively that even people who can' t read or write , can actually say that today is Kadhalar dhinam.

In one way I feel sick of the way Valentine's day is promoted. The reason follows:

Jan 26th is India's Republic Day. I was listening to Radio mirchi that morning(Jan 26) and the Rj's were asking the people who had called " what was Republic Day & why we celebrate it".. I listened to it for about an hour and trust me NOT ONE person gave the reason, some people said because we got freedom .... ( ask the same set of people what was Valentine's day and they wud give an answer).
Even a few so called educated School children were asked the question on Jan 26th and they blabbered something. I mean why coudn't they say that Republic day was celebrated because we framed our constitution which gave us the bloody rights to speak & write freely ( for instance bloggin itself).
But they wud certainly know what valentines day is.

Another reason ( infact some guy made a similar statement on TV), if you are truly in love with someone then everyday is a celebration of love and togetherness. I agree with that guy ,Why shud we have one particular day to show our love ???

There are times when I think what will happen to the future generations in India. My history teacher from school was complaining to us recently that the current kids are smoking , driving cars, using mobiles 24 x 7 and just don't listen to the teachers.

When I go to malls and cinemas I see young kids paired up and having a more than "good" time. Several times I have had the thought of what will my future children be like ???.

Some people say that only a few are like that ...but we have been saying the same reason for a long time but the so called few are rising in large numbers.

Where is the great Indian cultural heritage , i feel we lost it in the 90's itself !!!

I am not against freedom but then again I don't like what I am seeing around me either :(

thats why I ask myself Where are we going ???
Are we going towards a better future or a sorry future ???

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever notice that Childrens' Day is exactly '9 months' after Valentines' Day ??

Subbu

1:29 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Jagan said...

enna da 60 vayasu kel boldu mathiri pesurey ni ?

7:56 PM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

@Jagan
Theriyale da.. suddena oru mana uruthal. You shud have listened to that radio show man, some guy was saying we celebrate Republic day to show our military might.

7:44 AM, February 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home