SSK Chronicles

Everything here is straight from my heart : nuthin more nuthin less. This is my place to pour out the Emotions smouldering within me...

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States

hmm I think of myself as paradoxical : A non vegetarian who doesnt like to kill or hurt other living things, A ceaseless romantic who sometimes thinks that relationships are just not worth gettin into since someone eventually gets hurt, A dreamer who ends up being more realistic, A pessimist who hides his optimism in pessimism & finally just another normal human being.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A twist in destiny

The twist in destiny is unfortunately not my experience. It is my friend from NIIT days : Ram Mahesh's.
I attended a 2 year course in NIIT ( wherein I was supposed to learn a few of the software languages), anyway I met a guy called Ram Mahesh who lived very near to my house and we became really good friends.
He did his Mechanical engineering in SRM and then got a job in Cognizant technologies like several other engineers who passed out in 2003. Of course yours truly had gotten into Infosys at that time.
Though we were not in constant touch i did meet him sometime in 2004 and we stood and discussed Harry Potter for nearly 1-2 hours at the end of my street :-). At that time he was in CTS only and he said that he was not going to try for an MBA ( i knew that he tried CAT in 2003 but didn't get in). So at that point of time I assumed that he would be like me and would continue in the IT field.
One fine day in 2006 I met him in my street having really long hair and almost having a hippie kinda look, and when I asked what he was up to ; he said he was one of the SPORTS Journalists for SPORTSTAR and also the Cricket writer for THE HINDU. Oh my GODDDDDD I was stunned because The HINDU is the most famous newspaper in the south of India and SPORTSTAR is a very famous sports magazine from the HINDU's stable.

I got to know that our protagonist had quit CTS in 2004 and joined a journalism school ( Asian school of Journalism i think) and managed to top his class too. During my infrequent interactions with him earlier I knew that he was a real sports enthusiast and would remember a lot of sports statistics.
Anyway since he topped his class and since one of his profs was in The Hindu he got a chance to prove his skills, and man has he been doing good. He has been to Zimbabwe and SriLanka to cover the cricket matches, he has even interviewed our Ganguly after Gangs was dropped from the team and I am sure he will be doing a lot more stuff.

To think that he started as a mechanical engineer went on to be a software engineer but ended up a sports journalist. I think he is the most happiest in this but then again I shouldn't be speaking for him.

I wish him all the best in his life.

What I wonder is how many people dare to think different and take a different path ???

10 Comments:

Blogger frashegird said...

wow... interesting and courageous... what a lot of things pple do. you've given a whole story on your good friend, but the only thing missing is your own name!

9:39 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

@frashegird

Well the story is about my friend right ;). Anyway nice of you to drop in, I am Senthil.

6:40 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger frashegird said...

=) does your friend know you have given him such plaudit, for the stray reader's eyes?

9:39 AM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

I don't think he knows. When I talked to him on the day he said he was a sports journalist, I just told him that it was an amazing thing.
So just like all "Male"s I could not tell him all the things that i was thinking, and thats why I just blogged it.
It would serve as an inspiration to me or someone this way in the future :)
& hey whats your name ??

12:55 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger frashegird said...

Haha.. you might be surprised if I told you, but I actually know the person you are talking about, vaguely. Small world!

Mahesh and I used to be friends quite nebulously, but lost touch after school. He might remember me... try asking him about shotput next time you get to meet him. :)

12:36 AM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

hi man..
well am not surpirised man.. :-) I kinda thought you must have met him before.
If i ever meet him again i will cerainly ask him about shotput.
did u study in NUS ?

10:56 AM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger frashegird said...

NUS? what makes you think that?

9:21 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

@frash
Well my friend studied in NUS and since u were friends with ram.. that means we must all have gone to college in the same year.

So i was just wondering if you were in NUS..

9:37 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger frashegird said...

now i am confused!! ummm.. a friend of yours studied at NUS.. we must have been in college at the same time.. so... lost you there.

were you or mahesh at nus then? and who is your mysterious friend? =)

this is a crazy convo! =))

12:04 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

@frash
oops looks like i managed to confuse you. well i have a friend called Ravi who studied in NUS ..
& I saw that you are in Singapore, thats why i asked if u had studied in NUS.
& since ram and myself were in the same batch while in college in india. .. I thought you also wud have been in the same batch in Nus with Ravi as well.
anyway forget it .... too much of guesses on my part ;)

4:56 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home