SSK Chronicles

Everything here is straight from my heart : nuthin more nuthin less. This is my place to pour out the Emotions smouldering within me...

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States

hmm I think of myself as paradoxical : A non vegetarian who doesnt like to kill or hurt other living things, A ceaseless romantic who sometimes thinks that relationships are just not worth gettin into since someone eventually gets hurt, A dreamer who ends up being more realistic, A pessimist who hides his optimism in pessimism & finally just another normal human being.

Monday, February 20, 2006

chasing dreams

When I joined my company in 2003, I had a dream/wish that I would get to travel to different places on work assignments. In about 5 months i realized that since the work is divided based on clients I would only be able to work in USA ( well that was great too).
So I was building a nice little imaginary castle wrt my trip to the USA, but then my H1B visa application itself was initiated after a year and I got my visa only inNov 2004.

Even then I hadn't given up hope, i was still thinking i would travel soon. As i waited several of my dear friends left to the US for work. I kept thinking my turn would come and i had spent 2 years in my company. I was getting a little disillusioned (that maybe an under statement) because by this time my close friends working in other companies had jumped to Oracle and were getting real fat packages nearly double of what I was getting. I really felt bad and I felt that mebbe it was "ME" and that I was not good enough.

Well I did some thinking and that took me into June 2005 and I decided it was not "ME", it was my current position which had stagnated and the management didn't want to release me. I started my campaign for a release and it proved successfully after 6 more months ....

& then I was moved to another vertical and was requested to assist another Informatica project. Even at that time I was about to be pulled into a .NET project for offshore work but I managed to talk myself out of it :).

After about 3 months in that temporary project I am now scheduled to depart to LA ,California for a 6 month assignment.

I am the last of the gang of friends from my batch to travel to the USA, but hey i am finally going right ;). There were moments of extreme stress during this long wait but somehow I managed to overcome them all.

In a way I realized that a lot of young developers stay in such IT companies only for that eventual onsite work. I used to think that I wasn't one among them and that I would be doing my MBA in one of the IIM's by then, but time has proved me wrong.

well life sure has it's twists & turns huh. Let's see what happens next.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bhadhai ho bhai .. bhadhai ho ..
when are you scheduled to leave ?

Subbu

9:02 AM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger kaushik said...

hey...congrats...
i hope the trip is worth the wait

8:37 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger IBH said...

hey congrats!!!way to go!

6:22 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Jagan said...

LA va ? hav fun da .

2:52 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger ssk said...

Sorry for the late reply, but my time was spent on packing.
@Subbu
I reached LA on Feb 25th. I left on 24th night.

@Kaushik
well I honestly can't say if it is worth the long wait, but hey something is better than nothing right.

@ibh
romba nanri yakkov

@Jagan
Thanks machi . Any pointers from the guru (i.e you)

8:03 PM, February 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home