SSK Chronicles

Everything here is straight from my heart : nuthin more nuthin less. This is my place to pour out the Emotions smouldering within me...

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States

hmm I think of myself as paradoxical : A non vegetarian who doesnt like to kill or hurt other living things, A ceaseless romantic who sometimes thinks that relationships are just not worth gettin into since someone eventually gets hurt, A dreamer who ends up being more realistic, A pessimist who hides his optimism in pessimism & finally just another normal human being.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

c'est la vie - This is Life

I have posted a few of the pics from my trip here.

Paris is definitely one of the most romantic cities ;) It is a place for a guy to walk around aimlessly with a girl in hand. sighhhhh I wouldn't mind being lost in this city.

Well I got the opportunity to stay in Paris for one week for a one credit study abroad program, we had the International Marketing course at ESCP-EAP in the mornings and had one free day as well. The classes got over around 3PM and we would go all over the city on the very well maintained Metro. I went to almost all the major attractions just by the metro, I didn't take the taxi even once.

I had a desire ever since I was in high school to visit the Eiffel tower and I finally satisfied that wish. I dont know what made me feel so attracted to it ;-)

The other place that made me feel very peaceful was Sacre Coeur unfortunately they didnt allow photos to be taken inside the cathedral. When I went in I heard sisters singing songs in french in such a slow and mellifluous tone that I got immersed in that haunting melody. The interior roof painting was amazing. This is a must see for any visitor but please be careful of the big guys who wait at the bottom of the hill trying to sell wristbands for like 10 to 20 euros. Another surprising thing here was that a lot of the gift shops were owned to tamil speaking people, I bought stuff from a Chennai guys shop and I ate at a small shop owned by a sri lankan tamil lady.. I had forgotten how beautiful Sri Lankan tamil sounded.

Of course I did go to the Louvre.. I never imagined that it would be SO HUGE.. it was a 3 storey building on 3 sides of a long rectangle with the glass pyramids in the middle. For an art enthusiast this could be heaven..or one could die from an overdose of culture ;)

Notre Dame had these really great statues on its rooftops.. i think they call it gargoyles..they are ugly demon like things ;)

Some other places I saw was the Arc de Triomphe, La Defense (The military building) , Moulin Rouge, l'Orangerie (a Monet display) and a couple of gardens.
I kept myself busy enjoying the french life.. I only wish I had practised my french before going there..I could read the menus but I couldnt speak as fluently :(.

Hey I almost forgot.. the fresh croissants are to die for..even the fruit juices tasted much better than in the USA. Apparently they dont add preservatives in fruit juices and most importantly; WINE. Everywhere we went we were offered wine.. in fact wine was cheaper than water :) the food in the restaurants were exquisite ..though the cost was quite high. So it wud hurt a students meager savings.

The boulangeries (bakeries) are certainly very inviting.. they have beautiful and tasty cakes and pastries. I spent quite a lot of money on them due to my sweet tooth.

The one interesting food I had was frogs legs .. well it tasted just like chicken wingettes. Of course I wud probably never have it again because I felt quite guilty because it seems like such a travesty to kill a whole frog just for its legs!!

Anyway I will be going back there some day !!! Of course probably when I have more money ..sigh isnt it sad that when u start making money u just cant find the time to travel like this. Thats why I am trying to make the most of my time as a student to travel as much as possible.

Next post will be about my Beijing & Shanghai trip in May 2008.

au revoir mes amis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home