SSK Chronicles

Everything here is straight from my heart : nuthin more nuthin less. This is my place to pour out the Emotions smouldering within me...

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States

hmm I think of myself as paradoxical : A non vegetarian who doesnt like to kill or hurt other living things, A ceaseless romantic who sometimes thinks that relationships are just not worth gettin into since someone eventually gets hurt, A dreamer who ends up being more realistic, A pessimist who hides his optimism in pessimism & finally just another normal human being.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

net analysis of internship?

I have been wondering about the overall returns from my internship . In terms of short term financial gains.. this 10 week work will end up costing me more than I earn because I had to buy a car(just when gas hits $4) and am paying rent in 2 places (though it is quite less thanks to the kind couple I am stayin with as a Paying Guest).

Also in terms of emotional gains.. it does give me immense satisfaction to finally get an internship but I am in a small town (there is no McD or starbucks ;) with no one I know nearby & I am missing the opportunity of a lifetime to spend time with a great girl as well...so again this does seem like a net loss.

But when I look at it over a longer term period the overall NPV would certainly be positive (I had no idea what the hell NPV was b4 BSchool :) NPV is Net Present Value which can be sorta explained by saying: the NPV of $10 after 2 years will be $8 due to various reasons like inflation, currency rates etc.

Anyway I digress.. So this 10 week internship will give me some good operations related experience and I hope to combine it with my IT involvement in financial services to get a full time job in financial services (hopefully). Although I realize that this is probably the only opportunity to really get to know this girl, I guess sometimes I am just unlucky.

So 2 weeks have gone by in southern indiana..I have started on a 5 mile jog in the evenings along the wheat farms.. & I also managed to get a first hand experience of wheat harvesting in the USA thanks to my house owner.




I rode along with him in this machine called the Combine which makes wheat harvesting seem so easy. It does everything : cuts the wheat stalks somehow filters all the chaff out and stores the grain alone on top.

I did travel to Lafayette on the weekends but that will stop after this weekend cos there is not much point going there once summer school is done and "everyone" leaves town.

In July I will be exploring Southern Indiana and the nearby state of Kentucky.

well here is to a good summer ..cheers!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home